31.5.14
Kristen says...
Happy Memorial Day! (A week late...oops!) :)
Last weekend, (Memorial Day weekend) members of the Consulate communities in Vladivostok were invited to play a friendly game of baseball vs. a local amateur team, the Vladivostok Tigers.
So, we did!
Three of the Americans from our Consulate were joined by two members of the Indian Consulate to form the core of a team supplemented by some local university students...
I'm not going to say we were awesome (I think the most recently any of us had played baseball was maybe 5-10 years, if ever) but we did have a WHOLE LOT of fun!
I played softball from the time I was 5 or 6 (tee ball) on through the summer after my junior year of high school...actually the shirt I'm wearing here was from my major league softball days (age 10-12) in Iowa. Good times!!
The Tigers were not only good at baseball, they were also good sports about throwing hit-able balls to us baseball novices...I was up to bat 4 times and got 4 hits! I even outran two balls at first base and scored a run in the last inning!
One of the best parts of the day was teaching the two Indians how to play baseball. They were both well-versed in cricket, but had never played baseball before. I had a great time explaining the intricacies of the game to them, and was even able to use my (very small) cricket knowledge to compare and contrast a bit.
What a fun and American way to spend our Memorial Day weekend! I love the small moments that make even the farthest-away places feel like home! :)
Kristen says...
Happy Memorial Day! (A week late...oops!) :)
Last weekend, (Memorial Day weekend) members of the Consulate communities in Vladivostok were invited to play a friendly game of baseball vs. a local amateur team, the Vladivostok Tigers.
So, we did!
Three of the Americans from our Consulate were joined by two members of the Indian Consulate to form the core of a team supplemented by some local university students...
![]() |
| Chris wasn't able to attend due to some ongoing shoulder pain, poor guy! |
I played softball from the time I was 5 or 6 (tee ball) on through the summer after my junior year of high school...actually the shirt I'm wearing here was from my major league softball days (age 10-12) in Iowa. Good times!!
The Tigers were not only good at baseball, they were also good sports about throwing hit-able balls to us baseball novices...I was up to bat 4 times and got 4 hits! I even outran two balls at first base and scored a run in the last inning!
One of the best parts of the day was teaching the two Indians how to play baseball. They were both well-versed in cricket, but had never played baseball before. I had a great time explaining the intricacies of the game to them, and was even able to use my (very small) cricket knowledge to compare and contrast a bit.
What a fun and American way to spend our Memorial Day weekend! I love the small moments that make even the farthest-away places feel like home! :)


No comments:
Post a Comment
We love reading your comments about our crazy adventures!