Friday, December 14, 2012

The Little Things Add Up...Time is Ticking!

14.XII.12
Kristen says...


First of all, for any readers in Connecticut, or anyone with small children, my heart bleeds for you in light of today's tragedies...not only did horrors occur at a school in Connecticut, but children were also slain outside a school in China...as a teacher and an aunt this truly concerns and saddens me...

Also, I apologize (again) for the long blogging hiatus. We are getting closer to leaving, and so are getting busier trying to fit things in.

Among the things we have done recently: Shopping!!
I can't believe how much "stuff" we "need" to go to Russia...food, clothing, a happy lamp...
Yep, we got a happy lamp. If you close your eyes and sit real close, you can imagine that you are on a warm Caribbean beach...it's lovely! (and will probably be really lovely in Vladivostok!)

I also (FINALLY) got a new coat (which you can see in the pictures below)...also, the handsome man standing with me (the non-statue) is my dad, who came to visit this past week!

(If these pictures are giving you déjà vu, don't worry; yes, Chris and I went to Monticello a few months ago...but Dad had always wanted to go, so we went!) :)
Pip also got a new coat! Lucky dog!
We had some other fun times with Dad, among them visiting the Smithsonian Museum of American History, and watching my "Russian Spectakle" today...

On the very first day of Russian, even before we started learning the language, the heads told us about the Новый год (New Year) party and film festival, and we have been working on it ever since. That event was today, and I was really happy both Dad and Chris were able to come watch!

In order to really get into the spirit of the even I joined the choir...I got to learn Russian songs and I also got to dress in a fun Russian outfit!
 Not only did I sing, but my classmates and I also made a fun video which was one of 14 shown at the festival: (Don't worry...the movie is in Russian but there are English subtitles throughout! Also, it's only four minutes long!)

And even better...we were voted first place by the attendees of the event!! We won the Golden Pinecone!! :)


So Russian's not going too badly...it's still not really fun, but most days I feel like I am getting somewhere...

I also took a progress test a few weeks ago, and got pretty positive results--at least, I tested better than I thought I would, so that was exciting! I take my official language test after the Christmas holidays...And then we're off!
So soon...
Other than that, life is just tripping along so quickly! Basically we have just the holidays, my test, and then we will be packing out and off to Russia...I am so excited for this new adventure, but nervous as well...it's going to be VERY interesting! What an adventure! :)

KF

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love reading your comments about our crazy adventures!