Monday, April 15, 2013

More Stuff!

16.IV.13
Kristen says...

Well hello there!

It is amazing how busy you can be when you have nothing else to do but unpack boxes!

 Yes, we received another (our final) shipment of "stuff" two weeks ago, and I have spent most of my waking hours attempting to organize it...let me tell you, this is a work in progress!

 One of the biggest "works" (as anticipated) was the de-boxing, organization and shelving of my personal library:
There were at least 4 other boxes of books that aren't in this photo!
The books I am pointing at are Chris'...all the rest are mine :)
All organized, categorized, and yes, I do have a running list...good thing we got the two extra bookshelves! :)
Other highlights from the delivery?

New bed!!
This is the most comfortable bed EVER!! If you live in or near Iowa, I HIGHLY suggest you visit Midwest Mattress for a new bed, their Iowa-made beds are AWESOME!!!
The bed is so high I had to get stairs for Pip! :)
Clippers!
Chris' hair was sooo long! Before and:
After! What a handsome guy! :)
The Wii and the Wii Fit!
Good times! :)
In-between unpackings we have gotten out a bit as well:

 One of Chris' co-workers is a beader, and she invited anyone who wanted to come over and make jewelry, so of course I did! :) It was lots of fun, and a great excuse to get out of the house!

I also had a little culture in my life when I went to the opening of another local artist's showing:
And guess what...John was there! And he remembered me! :)
There were quite a few journalists at the event.
 The exhibit was opened with a few words from one of the people who worked at the museum, then the artist said a few words, then her friends/family/anyone else who wanted to could stand and talk about the artist (John spoke for quite a while), and then food was served.

 Of course, all this was in Russian, which was quite overwhelming for me, but it was very nice to see John there and another art dealer I met before, who spoke English, explained some of the finer elements of the art to me and asked the artist some of my questions.

 The show was actually held in the basement of a local "дом-музей" (home-museum, much like our visits to Monticello or Hillwood), a small house where V. K. Arsenyev, a famous Russian who was responsible for much of the early mapping of this part of the world, lived for a time.

 Once the food was served I was able to go upstairs and see the museum. It was very small but nice, and I would like to go back because I didn't get to stay long. One of the artifacts that was original to Arsenyev was this globe, which really struck me because instead of showing the Earth it showed the stars:
 I didn't really know where the museum was, so I chose to take a taxi to the event instead of driving. I was going to take a taxi home, but was told that home was just two bus stations away, so, I walked over to the train station, boarded a bus, and had my first Russian bus experience!
There it is, the end of the Trans-Siberian Railway! :)
Our bus wasn't very full, which was surprising considering how they usually look. Apparently the buses are new from the 2012 APEC Conference, but they seem to have caught on very quickly!
We also went out to a fun restaurant the other night, called Syndicate. It was an "American-style" restaurant, and offered quite a few novelties:
The Band: Called "Black and White"--the singer did an excellent Louis Armstrong impersonation!
The Menu: Notice the 4th salad down...the "Iowa" salad!! Of course, with ingredients like lamb, French beans, baby corn, murshrooms and a spicy sauce, I'm not sure how truly "Iowan" it is...but I appreciated the shout-out for my state!
The Creeper: It's a cardboard cutout, located just outside the bathroom door...weird. :)
Another funny Vladi-sight:
Horses! Good times!
So, maybe not the most exciting past few weeks, but they can't all be exciting, right?! :)
KF

1 comment:

  1. Love reading your updates - no matter how not-the-most-exciting they are! We need to skype soon! I'm pretty much home always and we are now on Central time (no daylight savings - like Honduras). Give me a call and let's chat!

    ReplyDelete

We love reading your comments about our crazy adventures!