3/4/11
Kristen says...
Well, I've been doing a bit more hobby-stuff recently (a positive benefit of teaching things I am more interested in, and therefore know more about so I have to do less background research on to teach). Last time I posted about tatting, one of our commentors (is that a word?) suggested I try the "stumpy" bookmark motif (found here).
So I did! (I love it when people comment, and I really loved getting a suggestion...I will take any/all suggestions or comments anyone wants to give me!)
I can't say that stumpy was my favorite motif I've ever made, but it wasn't too bad. I think part of my problem is that my first time through I tried to make it longer, and it just didn't work for me...plus, I kind of started it late at night, and so I had to put it down the middle of one of the sides...so by the time I picked it up again a few days later, I ended up messing it up and having to start it all over.
So here's my "Stumpy" little bookmark:
As she was demonstrating the technique (unfortunately I don't have any images of my Sumi-e "skills" to show you, but you can Google it if you really want to see it...), one of the things she drew was a little gecko climbing a bamboo stalk...and it hit me how much the gecko's body and tail looked like my little stumpy...
So when I got home I looked at the little bookmark and tried to design my own stumpy gecko... here he is:
And then I stuck him on the plant for a bit of "realism." :)
It's one of my first tries actually "designing" a motif...if you can call adding a few rings and making another ring larger designing...maybe it's more of a "gecko based on the pattern "stumpy" by Kersti" :)
Finally, I get the Be-Stitched newsletter each month, and I liked Nancy's medallion well enough to give it a go...as someone mentioned a few weeks ago, I do find myself thinking I might end up with "drawers full of doilies" as I have nobody to give these too, but I guess there are worse things to have too much of...hopefully someone will want them someday, a niece or someone...
Anyway...Nancy's medallion: I have all that new thread, so I thought I would use some of it, so I have this variegated yellow-white medallion...maybe I'll try to add another round to the outside and make it a real doily...
Hope you've had a great weekend! :)
KF
Your stumpy looks good in those colors!
ReplyDeleteYour gecko is neat!
And your motif is pretty! :)