Kristen says...
Hello everyone!
In an attempt not to do any lesson planning or anything remotely related to school while at home (it won't last forever, I'm sure!) I have been filling my time lately with fun things like tatting and baking!
The tatting first...if you remember in my first "tatting" post I mentioned I was working on a baby bonnet...I started it as a gift for my then-unborn first niece or nephew, which turned out to be a boy (Ezra), so, I just kind of put it aside.
Then my other sister announced she was pregnant, so I thought maybe that baby would want it...but of course my new nephew Jackson doesn't want it either...and as I have no other prospective nieces and nephews lurking in the shadows (that I know of)...
I didn't think I would ever have a reason to finish it.
But then, miracle of miracles, one of my friends here in Honduras had a baby girl, and so I thought I would finish the bonnet and give it to her. Thus, over the weekend I added the last row to the brim and the edging around the whole bonnet.
oops! :)
We've all had a good laugh about the gigantor baby bonnet (made from a vintage pattern I found on the Internet, btw) and had some fun making fun of it...
Even Pip's gotten in on the fun :)
So, lesson learned...pay attention to thread sizes or be prepared for huge baby bonnets :)
Motif #14 is much, much smaller and less intricate. It's the Lacy Square from Rozella F. Linden's "Easy Tatting." Take a look:
Also, in State Fair tatting news...I ended up entering 4 things into the Iowa State Fair, and found out this week that all four are on display, and Motif #12 (that stupid maroon and white bookmark) received a Horrible (I mean Honorable) Mention ribbon! (We've called them "Horrible Mention" ribbons since childhood, back when we were upset to get them, but I really am excited...I didn't expect any sort of ribbon at all my first time entering, so I will be proud of all the ribbons I won this summer!)
I have also dedicated a lot of time the past few weeks in baking bread...so far I've made an oatmeal wheat bread, a soft white bread (which I made into knotted rolls), and this braided egg bread:
Have a great week!
KF
This makes me want to tat a hat for myself, and wish I had enough room in the kitchen to make bread!
ReplyDeleteI have a couple of tatted hat patterns, but I haven't tried to make them yet...I want to get the baby bonnet right first!!
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDelete