Sunday, January 23, 2011

Motif #2, Placemats are on their Way...

23/01/2011
Kristen says...

I used this morning to get ready for this coming week of school, and this afternoon I have been relaxing and doing what I want. :)

I received quite a few DVDs for Christmas, and I thought I should watch them at some point. So, this afternoon I watched "The Young Victoria," an excellent movie with excellent acting and an excellent storyline. Plus quite a few of my favorite actors are in it, so that made it even better.

While I watched the movie I thought I would continue working on my Victorian hobby. I said yesterday that I wanted to make placemats for our table, and so I started on that today...and it only took me an hour, but here is the motif:
I eventually hope to get to this place (taken from "The Tatter's Treasure Chest," a Dover Needlework Series book edited by Mary Carolyn Waldrep):
The pattern calls for 8 strips of 12 joined motifs for each placemat...that means (for those of you who don't want to do the map yourself) I will need 96 of these motifs for each mat, plus the ones in the center. Then, of course, I want to make at least 4 mats, so 96x4=384 motifs! If my current "speed" of tatting holds true, it will take me at least 400 hours to complete this project...wow! That is daunting. Good think I have forever and ever to finish them. :)

Just add it to the list: books I want to read, Rosetta Stone to finish, and now 383 more motifs for placemats...looks like I just found my summer job! :)

KF

3 comments:

  1. If you enjoy it things will go quicker and the most used to the pattern you get the quicker you get too. I am trying to make a tablecloth for my husband out of some small antique motifs similiar to the ones you put around your hat, except in white. Love your tatting pictures! :)
    Have a great day! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. ***oops, the more you get used to a pattern....
    sorry about the mistyping. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the encouragement! I am really hoping to get the time down to 45 minutes or less/motif...it was just weird the first time through, and I had to re-do just one chain 3 times before I got it right, so that was an extra 10 minutes right there :)

    I know it will all be worth it when I'm done!
    KF

    ReplyDelete

We love reading your comments about our crazy adventures!