Thursday, February 23, 2012

Back on the Tatting Wagon: Motif 1

23/2/12
Kristen says...

Well, I failed.

Failure isn't something new for me, nor really something I fear (as one of my students told me the other day, "You don't learn from your successes, Miss, only your failures." I try to find comfort in that... ;) ...) but I can't say I like it much either...

So my failure to finish last years' 25 Motif Challenge is kind of bothering me...

It's not that I couldn't have...I made it to #19 officially (so close!) and tatted at least 4 other motifs as Christmas presents, but I didn't take pictures (duh) and didn't blog about them, so they don't really count...

HOWEVER, I am throwing my hat back in the ring. I have begun tatting again (finally!) and am happy to present my 2012 Motif #1:
It's Lyn Morton's 4-petal "Peggy" from her book Tatting Patterns

I'm not totally proud of it (there is some weird twisting going on in the upper LH corner) but it's better than the nothing I tatted in January...

On an interesting note, I didn't feel the need to re-write the directions on this one...often when a pattern is written in the "long version" format (ex: "5DS, 5Ps, separated by 3DS, 5DS") I have to re-write it into the "short version" (5-5-5-5-5) before I begin tatting. This time, for whatever reason, the longer style worked for me without the re-write...so hopefully I won't be so intimidated by that style of pattern anymore, or spend (more time that I'd like to admit) "translating" patterns...

Anyway, 1 down, 24 to go! I WILL finish this year!

KF

2 comments:

  1. Kristen - I think it's beautiful! Remember to enjoy the process! If 24 is too many - don't worry about it! Love you! Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think your motif looks really nice!! :)

    ReplyDelete

We love reading your comments about our crazy adventures!