Sunday, May 13, 2012

The Anatomy of a Two-Day Doily

13/5/12
Kristen says...

Hello again:

HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY!! :)

It's been an EXCEPTIONALLY low-key and, dare I say, somewhat boring weekend around here.

We were planning to go somewhere, maybe to Valle, maybe even to Amapala...but no, we were foiled by the dreaded car AGAIN! Like it or not, our car is over 10 years old, and it seems to need quite a bit of work right now. This time it's the gas tank...it has a very inconvenient hole in it! How sad. (#%$&@*!!!!!!!) So it's going back to the mechanic tomorrow, for what I can only hope will be the last time. I mean really, what else can there be to fix?!

The nice thing is, besides the miles we've put onto the car, it's really a nicer car than when we bought it...new tires, rebuilt transmission, now a new gas tank...sigh.

Anyway, without wheels we were basically "stuck" at home, which isn't a bad place to be, just a little uneventful.

Chris has come up with some fun time-fillers (and de-stressers) recently...coloring and blowing bubbles!




I did have a function to attend yesterday, but luckily I was able to attend it over the Internet. Although I can't say it's better than my Alma Mater, Drake University, (in fact it's one of our big rivals), my "littlest' brother graduated Summa Cum Laude from Creighton University yesterday, and Creighton was awesome enough to stream the graduation online! (All 2 hrs and 40 minutes of it!)
Luckily for me, I got to watch the entirety in my pajamas and got to tat through the whole thing without feeling rude or having people stare...

I actually added another round to my white doily on Friday night...
...but the next round is a little involved, and I didn't want to have to focus too much on the doily and miss the graduation (or vice-versa), so I started another, slightly less involved project.

I started it with thread in a lovely caramel brown color:
And then decided that I should branch out a bit and make it multi-colored, so next I brought in my favorite off-white Turkish cotton thread:
 But OOPS! After finishing the second round I looked back at the pattern and realized that I'd done it WRONG (check out the puckering on the far end) so I cut it all off and re-did it correctly:
 Then I decided to change up the color again and use a nice pure-white thread:
 And then back to the softer off-white:
 And this afternoon I finished it up with the caramel brown again:
But I wonder...it feels a little unfinished. This is what the pattern is supposed to look like, but it just doesn't feel complete somehow.

I'm considering adding another round similar in the pure-white around the outside, using the ring-chain pattern of the inside rounds, attaching it to the center picot of the two chains on the top of the outer motifs and having a free ring between each of the motifs...

I'd love to have your feedback and thoughts on that idea (or other suggestions if you have them)!

There are only 4 weeks of school left (!) and I have already completed and submitted all my lesson plans, so it's just implementation at this point...I can almost smell summer!

Hope all you mothers had a wonderful day! :)
KF

8 comments:

  1. I really like the colors of your doily! I did that same pattern last year (and won a ribbon for it in the county fair ^_^). It looks finished to me. Probably just looks unfinished against that background. On any dark or light surface it'll be perfect. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! (And congratulations!) It's very possible that it's the background. I have it sitting on a tea tray right now, and it doesn't look too bad! :)

      Delete
  2. Not sure if I know how to sign into this thing, so if it doesn't show, this is your little sister. :)
    I like it the way it is. I think the pointed edge is nice, I wouldn't prefer it with a rounded edge...how big is it? You should post some pictures of these things with a "perspective" item so we know!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well done, you're signed in as you! :) And thanks for the feedback and the suggestion. I will start giving perspective! :)

      Delete
  3. Both doilies look fabulous!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you very much :) I truly appreciate your comments! :)

      Delete
  4. Your beautiful tatting ALMOST has me wanting to take up needle tatting! Love the colours you have used - it looks terrific.
    Fox : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Fox!

      I'm pretty sure needle tatting is much easier than shuttle tatting, so your lovely pieces require much more talent than mine...in fact, I've been trying to teach myself the shuttle for a while now, but I just can't master it...I have the dvd tutorial but it doesn't make any sense to me...any tricks of the trade?

      Either way, I can't see that the final product is much different, but what do I know? :)

      Delete

We love reading your comments about our crazy adventures!