Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Halloween and Fall Food Experiments

11.11.14
Kristen says...

Halloween has come and gone (silly costumes aplenty), but pumpkins are living on at the Fink home...






I can't say I'm a huge fan of pumpkin pie (or, really, a fan at all) but that hasn't stopped me from tackling something I never thought to try, making a pumpkin pie from scratch!

It was particularly intimidating because I was doing it in Russia, and pumpkins here don't really look exactly like pumpkins in the States...
Green Jack o'lanterns?
 Especially not this type of pumpkin ;)

 Anyway, I started out by cutting the pumpkin in half, scooping out the insides (don't think I didn't roast those pumpkin seeds later, yum yum!)

 And then I steamed the pumpkin for a few minutes (20 or so)
 Scooped out the soft pumpkin
 And blended it until smooth
 7+ ingredients and an hour and a half in the oven later...voila! Pumpkin pie from scratch! Woot!


I had some ulterior motives for going through this process:

So much fun!
KF

4 comments:

  1. Looks a lot better after you'd finished with it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! I thought of you when I made this, because of the soup I made with the canned pumpkin--now I know how to do it "for real"! :)

      Delete
  2. Terrific job! You almost NEVER hear of anyone making it with out the Canned Pumpkin :) We never grew pumpkins so My mom use to make pumpkin pie using Banana Squash (always on hand and had a lot of meat to it) and you couldn't tell the difference really.... maybe even a bit more flavor. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It was a fun thing to try...even better because it worked! :)

      Delete

We love reading your comments about our crazy adventures!