Saturday, April 25, 2015

ANZAC Day

25 April 2015
Kristen says...

Happy ANZAC Day!

What, you don't know what ANZAC Day is? Oh, then you must not be from Australia, New Zealand, Turkey or France!

Anzac Day (ANZAC stands for Australian and New Zealand Army Corps) is celebrated every year on April 25. It is similar to Memorial Day in the US, but is specifically geared to memorializing the anniversary of the ANZACs landing for the WWI battle at Gallipoli in Turkey. This year is especially special, as it is the 100th anniversary of the landing.

This special day is being celebrated in multiple places across the world today, with the dawn services, the familiar red and black poppy flowers, and most fun for me, ANZAC biscuits.

Biscuits, of course, in Australia and other places, are cookies.

Eating ANZAC biscuits is an essential part of the ANZAC Day celebration, because they were sent to the soldiers by the mothers, sisters, wives and girlfriends back home. Of course, by the time the biscuits reached the soldiers they were hard, so hard they couldn't be eaten without being ground up like granola or dipped in tea.

I made some ANZAC biscuits using the first published recipe earlier this week for our work celebration. It's always a little nerve-wracking to attempt to make something that is so essential to other people's culture, but Chris and I thought the cookies were nice, and nobody complained, so I call it a success.

Some of the recipes I looked at call for dried coconut (but not the original recipe, so I left it out), but all the recipes I saw called for Golden Syrup, something I'd never heard of before!
They advertise golden syrup as being perfect for pancakes, etc, but it doesn't taste like maple syrup at all. Golden syrup is the consistency of caro (corn) syrup, but it's made of cane sugar, so is closer to Molasses...I think if you took brown sugar, added water and boiled for a while, you'd probably come up with something as close to Golden Syrup as possible...probably. :)

The newspaper says over 160,000 people celebrated the holiday at the various services in Canberra today, which is really amazing. Chris and I stayed home (4 am is really too early!) but watched some of the events on the tv. It was very inspiring and I have enjoyed being here for the Centenary of this important historical event.

KF

4 comments:

  1. Oooooh, golden syrup brings memories of childhood!! A huge treat was to have Yorkshire puddings with golden syrup poured over them for pudding. Those were the days and are now ancient history!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mmm, sounds good to me! I had never heard of golden syrup until a few weeks ago, but I have very much enjoyed it in the cookies! Since I have a lot left over I am going to have to find other uses for it...maybe I'll attempt a Yorkshire pudding! :)

      Delete
  2. It's fun to see you explore things that to me are absolutely ordinary, like golden syrup.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At last!! I was thinking of you the other day as I processed a pumpkin to make pumpkin bread...no canned (tinned) pumpkin here! :)

      Delete

We love reading your comments about our crazy adventures!