Monday, November 9, 2015

Great Ocean Road: Signs

9 November 2015
Kristen says...

"Signs, signs, everywhere the signs..."

I have to say, one of the big trends I noticed as we traveled the Great Ocean Road was all the signs, They were everywhere! And not the type we are used to in the States (no billboards here, thank you very much!!) but small, unobtrusive yet sometimes unintentionally hilarious signs.

Here are a sampling of some of my favorites:
Don't blink or you'll miss it...this is as commercial as the Great Ocean Road got in self promotion. Lovely!
We searched and searched, but never did see a whale...we were just a little too late in the season. Sniff.
We had to pull over for this one--our dog's (nick)name with my birthday?! Awesome.
FYI. Also, thanks for the image.
We actually saw this one a bunch of times along the road. Apparently this is an issue, but this was also a bit confusing, as there were other signs all along the road uring sleepy motorists to "Powernap Now" -- seriously. Google it if you don't believe me! :) 
For all the tourists (and there are many) a helpful reminder. :)
This sign isn't terribly remarkable, but the gelato was--especially the light colored of the two, which was VEGEMITE flavored! They also had black licorice flavored gelato. Both were good, but I'm not 100% sure I'd order either again.
This was a little alarming until we realized the sign was months out of date. Still, thanks for the warning...and sorry poor little poisoned rabbits!
This was a popular sign all along the trail, but this one was a little...different... :) Bwahahahaha!
ALSO: A sign with both koalas and cows (when not disguised as dinosaurs?) Awesome!
Fun Fact: There are lots and lots of cows to be seen along (and on) the Great Ocean Road!
I'm still unsure as to why (Warrnambool) is in (parentheses)
They don't pull too many punches in Australia. You might DIE, so stay on the path!
Aww, sad. The waves were crazy-high when we visited the 12 Apostles.
Do you get it? Do you get it? Also check out the name of the restuarant in the background. Bwahahaha!
Some more information about London Bridge, should you care to read about it.
Why yes, we did drive 4 km out of our way to see the Boggy Creek Pub. It was pretty great (?)
More information on whales. Le sigh. I guess we'll have to go back to try to see them again!
CHEESE WORLD!?!?!?! WHOO HOO! (This was at the end of the trip and I was, I admit, a bit punchy) :)
So there you go, some of the finest signs the Great Ocean Road had to offer, and a bit more of the flavor (flavour) of what we're experiencing Down Under. :)

KF

2 comments:

  1. Certainly different signs. Poor Nemo - bet he didn't like being fried!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you didn't fall and DIE! (That one made me giggle.) I hadn't realized that people used to be able to walk on London Bridge...can you imagine how frightening that would have been to be stranded out there after it fell?? (And cold, I imagine!) Also loved the graffitied sign...I'm not usually a fan of graffiti but that one was pretty funny! Oh, and the falling branches one...reminds me of the "falling rocks" signs down by the Lake of the Ozarks. I always thought, huh, thanks for telling me, but I'm still going to use this road to drive on since there's no other option, and just hope nothing falls on me because I doubt I'd be able to avoid it anyway! I like all your posts, but I think stuff like this really gives us a good "feel" for what Australia is really like...keep it coming! Normal everyday things are the fabric of life!

    ReplyDelete

We love reading your comments about our crazy adventures!