Sunday, August 26, 2012

End of August Musings

8/26/12
Kristen says...

Chris and I finally admitted it the other day...we miss Honduras.

We have talked about how we miss the weather, the food, the apartment, the people... (but not the traffic). For myself, I really miss my school...

And while we really love DCland too, I am finding myself at a loss lately to know what I should be doing with my time.

I am currently in the middle of reading no less than 5 books; 1 on my Kindle, one on my iPod, and three paperbacks. I have another book that I probably should be reading as it is due back to the library soon.

I baked bread and cookies last week, but haven't made a real meal since our first week in DC.

Our house is unusually orderly (although probably still more cluttered than yours) and I have run both the dishwasher and the clothes washer this weekend, something I would normally put off until it became an essential in the middle of the week.


I can't seem to settle into tatting, watching a movie, or even blogging without making a plan and thinking about it for way too long a time. These are three things that I traditionally really enjoy doing.

I think my problem is that, with the exception of the past two years when I started work on Aug 1, for the 22 years before that, school started when the Fair ended. This year...

I Miss Teaching.

I miss planning. I miss posting to my school blog and turning in my lesson plans. I miss checking papers (really). I miss the intellectual stimulation of knowing that I need to 1) organize my curriculum 2) review what I know about the subject 3) learn more about it and then 4) figure out how best to enable my students to learn part or all of what I know or have learned. I (almost) miss having to get up in the morning at a certain time, and I really miss my daily interactions with other teachers and my students.

That's not to say I am unhappy. I have Chris and my puppy, I am exercising at least three times a week (yoga!), I can WALK AROUND THE NEIGHBORHOOD and the city, I can go to museums and the library, I eat fantastic food, I am seeing friends and family...

But I think I am a little bored. And I miss teaching...boo hoo, right? Silly me, complaining about not having to work...

At least Russian lessons start next week...for sure once those start I will at least be intellectually stimulated again, which is something my brain is craving. Hopefully I will be able to throw myself into that enough that I will have "mental direction" again...

I'll let you know how it goes... :)
KF

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love reading your comments about our crazy adventures!