Thursday, June 10, 2010

Books - Any suggestions?

6/10/10
Kristen says...

Well, the final tallys are in. After DAYS of sorting, shuffling, cataloging, packing, unpacking, repacking, second thoughts, sales, donations (but thankfully no tears), I am done with phase 1 of operation "Kristen, You are Moving to Honduras and You Can't Take All of Your Books".

I have gone from (probably) about 1,000 books to a grand total of: 483.
I am proud of myself! I truly did not think I would be able to do it. Are there more books I could get rid of? Probably. Will I? Nope! I said I'd get below 500, and I did. So, I'm done.

Phase 2 of this operation (I'm calling it -Bye Bye, Books- for short) will consist of packing them into boxes so that we can move them to their new home, which is my bedroom at my parents' house in Oskaloosa. It is a VERY rainy day in Des Moines, and thus my desire to go out and do some of the errands I was planning to do is very low.













Therefore, Phase 2 will commence very shortly.

This whole packing thing brings me to a major conundrum...since I will not have all my books with me in Teguc, nor will I have as ready access to bookstores, Amazon.com, or a public library, I really need to choose wisely on what I bring with me. I don't want to bring any duds. :)

Of those 483, I have read 205, or 42% (which, I will be honest, is slightly more than I thought it would be...I tend to collect books for reading later, and sometimes later ends up being never).

I see this as an excellent opportunity to read the 278 books on my shelves that I haven't gotten to yet...although it does hurt my heart to leave my old faves (yes, I'm talking about you, Harry Potter) behind. I do plan to get an iPad, either before we go or after we come home for Christmas, so that might solve some of the problem, but until then I want to dedicate myself to the books I haven't read.

Believe it (or not), of those 483 books, NONE are about Honduras! I have checked out a few books from the library and read them through, but I'm wondering, do any of you blog followers out there have any suggestions on books I should read about Honduras before (or even after) I get there?

KF

2 comments:

  1. Interested to hear about your journey. I'm the mom of one, soon to be two, used to be teacher married to a Honduran/Salvadoran man. We are planning on moving to Honduras in a few years. Hope you have a great trip! Can't wait to hear about it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kristen

    Have you read "Don't Be Afraid, Gringo"? It's from the 1980s but it gives a lot of insight into the situation of women in that troubled time.

    I found Peter Chapman, "Bananas: How the United Fruit Company Shaped the World," a fascinating non-technical work.

    Though you're about 6-7 hours away from Santa Rosa, there are always ways of sharing books.

    Hope to see you soon!

    John

    ReplyDelete

We love reading your comments about our crazy adventures!