Monday, June 21, 2010

It's getting close...

Wow, it has been a long time since I have posted...I intend to remedy that very soon. I was at a networking event a few weeks ago talking to a woman who actually telecommutes for Qwest down in Kansas City. I asked her if she had any insights she could share as my adventure down in Honduras would soon begin. She mentioned the best thing you can do is end your day (at work) with the same activity EVERYDAY.....and after that activity is complete - STOP WORKING ON WORK! I intend to take her advice and blog, at least 5 sentences every (working) day (that's a full paragraph for those of you from Oskaloosa High School). That said, this daily blogging will begin approximately August 1st since that's when I will technically be working for PFG again.

Since I haven't posted in such a long time, I will apologize up front since this will (again) probably be a ramble of the various activities, feelings and random thoughts in my head leading up to this change.

Lots of people are asking Kristen and I if we are excited. And, I can't speak for Kristen - but the obvious answer for me is "of course". But, my feelings don't just stop at excited, and unfortunately I have had a difficult time articulating what I am feeling. I thought about this for awhile tonight, and I think the best way to sum up what I'm thinking/feeling is to say that I am "intensely emotional". This intense emotion is not necessarily physical, its not like I'm crying every night or anything like that, I'm not sick, or shaking from nervousness or anything - but I just have SO many different thoughts and wide range of feelings going on that I don't think you can sum it up.....except to say that I am "intensely emotional". I am happy, sad, nervous, scared, excited, tired, anxious, curious, hopeful, and a host of other things ALL AT ONCE.

The other question we keep getting, or maybe I've just been thinking about is "what are we looking forward to the most" and/or "what are we the most scared/nervous about". And my answer to that - oddly enough (or maybe not odd at all if you know me) is exactly the same for both of those questions. The answer (for me) is: "I am both looking forward to, and am nervous and scared about how we will react to and be influenced by the cultural/social experiences we have on this adventure." I just don't know what I don't know - I can't tell the future. What will I be like in 3 months, 6 months, 2 years - how will I change, how will we change as people, as a married couple, how will our perspectives on the world change? I'm very excited to see how our lives will be changed by this experience - in ways that I can't even comprehend right now.

Back to reality - and out of my head, Kristen just got off done Skyping with Christiana (woman helping us get everything setup down South). And after hearing the conversation and getting to ask more questions, wow - I'm pumped for this, I'm ready to go! 15 days (more like 14 now)....let the countdown begin!

By the way, I need to come up with a good ending, closing line for my blog posts. Something like, until next time, or signing off from Honduras, or I don't know, maybe just Adios! If you have any suggestions, leave them in the comments and I'll start using one of the suggestions. If no one comments....I guess that means we don't really have any readers :)

3 comments:

  1. And now, back to your adventure...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the post, Chris! I understand the emotional overload very well - I think you did a pretty good job of explaining it! Love the looking forward to/scared of - that's excellent.
    I think you should wait until Honduras to get a sign off phrase, and find something cool that strikes you in Spanish - see if there's some kind of local phrase that everyone uses. That'd be cool!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You could steal a phrase from internal PFG communications... keeping you informed.

    ReplyDelete

We love reading your comments about our crazy adventures!