Sunday, June 3, 2012

Motifs 7 and 8, and the White Doily is Finally Done! Anyone have Blocking Advice?

3/6/12
Kristen says...

Hello everyone! :)

While we were working on yesterday's samosas we had a bit of down time while the potatoes were boiling and whatnot, so I thought I would sit down and pop out a few more motifs (because seriously, it's June and I've only achieved 8 motifs...gah!) Anyway, here they are:


These are both from Gun Blomqvist and Elwy Persson's Tatting: Patterns and Designs.

I also FINALLY finished that big white doily I was working on...

The pattern is the Round Tatted Doily from Rita Weiss' Tatting: Doiles and Edgings.

My sister suggested that I show what I'm working on with something so you know what size it is, so I added a lovely pink ruler for you:

I think when it is blocked it will be just over 12" in diameter. Right now it's just sort of all over, it doesn't lay well. This is the one, if you remember, that started out with the lovely bubble in the middle.

Incidentally, does anyone have any suggestions about how best to block something? I had never even heard of blocking before the fair last year, but each of my entries came back with feedback about needing to be blocked...

I looked it up online and found out that blocking = starch, and a woman at a fabric and threads store suggested I use cornstarch mixed in water...but I have no idea how to start. How much cornstarch? How much water? Cold or warm? Is cornstarch really what I want to use? I think I remember someone saying something about using sugar in water once time, but that just sounds like an invitation for ants to move into my doilies...

So, do any of you fantastic tatting readers have any suggestions for me? I really want to try this out soon because soon I will have time...it's the last week of school! :-D

KF

3 comments:

  1. Actually, blocking does not have to entail starch at all. Some people actually iron their tatting, though I don't. I have a covered cork board (paper with a grid on it and plastic wrap over). Lay out the item, spray lightly with water. Using rust- proof stick pins and starting in the middle, work your way around and then out from the center, pinning all (or a lot) of the picots, pulling gently and shaping your item so it is even and looks good. I just spray the part I'm working on and then spray the next part. If you don't pin out all your picots and least pull on them with a pin and make sure they are open, straight and lay pretty. Let dry completely before unpinning (a hair dryer speeds up the process:-) ) Most pieces will hold their blocking pretty well when done this way. If it needs to be just a little stiffer you can spray it with hair spray, maybe on the back.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You may want to se Lady shuttle maker's blocking template for round tatting. It's on her blg on thright side, way down... I can't copy the link for some stupid reason. Also the next time you're in the States, you might want to look for a product call led Best Press. It's more fdelicate than starch but still gives some stiffness. I've read that pieces stiffened with sugar yellow over time.

    ReplyDelete

We love reading your comments about our crazy adventures!