Thursday, July 15, 2010

Relaxation does not facilitate blog postings...

15/7/10
Kristen says...

Hello blog readers and followers (by the way, if you read us, we'd love to have you follow us--it's fun to see who is interested in our adventure):

Well, we made it...an entire week in Tegucigalpa (well, now it's been a week and 2 days) and so far, so good. We're staying, that's for sure. Overall, we've had a very pleasant and relaxing week + 2. I've read an entire book (Pink Think by Lynn Peril--very interesting read, quite funny, makes you think about how you were brought up, etc...it also made me wish I had lived in the 1950s and 60s. I realize that wasn't her point (in fact, I think that's exactly against her point) but I think it would have been interesting to experience), finished the first seasons of Gossip Girl and Greek on DVD, and updated my Facebook a million times.

What we haven't done a lot of is anything worth blogging about. This is not a criticism or a complaint, it is just an observation. Tegucigalpa is not a pedestrian city. You do not walk around here just to walk. In Des Moines, I was out walking quite often (of course, my dog was with me in Des Moines, which was the #1 reason I was out,) but I did walk for exercise/to run errands/just to get out of the house too. When I was in London I walked ALL OVER...I had to walk a mile just to get to classes. Here...I feel like I can't leave my apartment without Chris, and even when we do walk somewhere, it's not for very long or for anything but absolute necessity.

Not that I'm not enjoying hanging out in our gorgeous, huge apartment having no guilt about having nothing better to do than read or catch up on tv shows that start with "G," (and I know I will be missing these days when school starts and I have no free time) but I am ready to get out and actually see the city.

The problem has been one of transportation. While we have some excellent friends here who have generously driven us around and taken us out, I have felt like a giant burden this past week+, and am VERY excited that we are getting our car tomorrow! We will be like freed birds, able to go where we want, when we want, and for no better reason than we want to go. I realize we still have to be cautious (drivers in Tegucigalpa seem a little crazy!), but I am excited to be able to go out, on my own, and do things I want to do...!

Honestly, though, we really haven't done anything worth blogging about since Sunday...we're still here, we're still loving it, and we're both really excited about the car, and about a spur-of-the-moment trip we planned to go to Roatán next week! I think it will be nice to get out of the city for a few days, break the pattern of doing nothing in the apartment by doing nothing on an island, and come back ready for a week of planning before school begins on August 2!

So, sorry there's not a lot to report...friends, readers (whether we know you or not), drop us a line to let us know what's happening in your lives...our comments section is ready for your input! :)

KF

2 comments:

  1. I miss going for our walks! Too bad it isn't a pedestrian-friendly city, but I am glad you are enjoying it nonetheless. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. By the way, any update on Pip?

    ReplyDelete

We love reading your comments about our crazy adventures!