Tuesday, August 17, 2010

A night out in Teguc...kind of

17/8/10
Kristen says...

Well tonight was interesting! We have been staying in (a lot!) lately, because Pip has been...let's say resisting spending time in his kennel. This is a new experience for us: he really seemed to like the kennel in Iowa, but I think the 6 hours of airplane time killed his desire for small, enclosed spaces.

This is, of course, frustrating because we have never left him alone without putting him in his kennel, and now he freaks out any time we leave him alone, inside the kennel or not.

This problem came to the forefront tonight when one of the other teachers invited us to go to the Honduran Museum of National Identity for the opening of a new photography exhibit called Estas Honduras. (The images below are of the entrance hall of the Museum and the artist, Jorge F. Travieso.)














Chris was going to come with me...actually, he and I were both out the door and on the way to the car, but we paused to listen to the melodious sound of our crazily barking, whining, and crying dog. The way our building sits, it faces another of equal height, and loud noises from one side carry and bounce off the other, then reverberate all up and down the area in-between. It was AWFUL! Of course, we couldn't leave with him going crazy like that (we do want our neighbors to like us), so Chris decided to stay home.

This was quite disappointing, because I was really looking forward to Chris and I actually being able to leave the house at the same time. It's not that I'm not happy Pip is here (I'm ecstatic!) but seriously. Besides school and 2 weekend shopping trips on my own, and besides Chris' haircut and a downtown jaunt this past Saturday, and the one, brief hour-long trip to pick up our BBs (when Chris left Pip with Wilmer), we haven't been able to get out much, and only that once both of us left at once. Sigh.

Anyway, I did get to go to the museum, even though Chris did not. The exhibit was photos from many different places in Honduras, and included sections of photos of carvings at Copan, different religious and cultural festivals from around the country, and some of the people he has come across. Most of the people pictures portrayed them doing something, like playing an instrument, weaving, or celebrating holidays. (Actually, 3 of my favorites are available at the 2nd link above. I'd copy them over here but I don't want to get into plagiarism issues. Just click on the link and you can see them and read about the exhibit.)

After we walked though the galleries, we were treated to some delicious traditional Honduran food, including frijoles, corn tamales with crema, a chicken-potato-baby corn-green bean-delicious dish, a Honduran dish made with corn meal, potatoes, montequilla, and queso (it was spicy, not what I expected, but still pretty good) and delicious fried corn chips.

The captions to the pictures were, of course, in Spanish, but I was pleased with how much I felt I understood. I was able to pick out a lot of words that I wouldn't have been able to before I moved down here. I haven't been doing as well as I should with my Rosetta Stone (like, I've done it once this month, for 2 hours) but I've found an excellent source of Spanish practice in the lady who cleans my room at school.

I am currently blessed with a wonderful schedule at school that allows me multiple periods "off" for planning and whatnot. During one of these "free" periods Santos comes in and cleans the desks, sweeps the floor, mops it, and talks with me in Spanish. She wants to learn English, and I want to learn Spanish, so we both teach each other new words, and really communicate much more easily than I thought we would. It was fun today to teach her that "rock" and "stone" are "la misma" and the English words "big," "small," "open," "closed," "locked." I knew most of these words in Spanish, but turnabout is fair play. I'm really looking forward to how much I learn from her this year and next!

FYI, for anyone who's interested, here is me at my classroom:

I am really quite fond of my room...maps galore! :)














Anyway, it's getting rather late and I need to be up bright and early. I do want to say, though, that the more time I spend in Honduras, the more people I talk to, the more images and Honduran items I see (like this exhibit) really make me excited to travel and see this country.

A month from Monday (Sept 15th) is Honduras' Independence Day, and we have a 5-day weekend to celebrate. I'm wondering if anyone out there has a suggestion of where we can go (preferably that allows dogs) so that we can truly experience the holiday?

Sorry for the somewhat disjointed ramble. It's the beginning of the school year, and my brain always goes a million different directions at this time.

Please send us your suggestions! :) and thanks for reading.
KF

2 comments:

  1. The same thing happened to Charlie when he came here - and he still doesn't like to be in the kennel. I think the flight traumatizes them! :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amapala (it is the island on the back of the 2 limp bill) would be a nice place to go for a couple days. You can experience the "black beaches" of the southern coast. Tela on the north coast is better for beaches and swimming, but of course, is farther away.

    Sorry about the problems with your dog. When we moved to Teguc we had a few issues with our dog also. We don't put her in a kennel when we leave her alone so that was no big deal, but the water here made her sick and even after two years she still drinks purified water, just like we do.

    I commented to your husband that my wife and I would love to meet you if there is ever a chance. Maybe dinner and a drink sometime. If we can help with anything, give us a call..... 9858-5397.

    ReplyDelete

We love reading your comments about our crazy adventures!