Monday, August 2, 2010

Gaining Momentum...

Chris Says:

Pronunciation: \mō-ˈmen-təm, mə-\
Function: noun
Inflected Form(s): plural mo·men·ta \-ˈmen-tə\ or momentums
Etymology: New Latin, from Latin, movement
Date: 1610
1 : a property of a moving body that the body has by virtue of its mass and motion and that is equal to the product of the body's mass and velocity; broadly : a property of a moving body that determines the length of time required to bring it to rest when under the action of a constant force or moment
2 : strength or force gained by motion or through the development of events : impetus

Success breeds success! Things are beginning to roll along quite smoothly at work. I'm making use of many of the Getting Things Done (GTD) techniques that I implemented while actually working in the office, and I am finding that the techniques are helping me to a greater extent when working remotely. I think for my work style, getting into a daily, weekly, and monthly habit will be paramount. Fortunately for me, this is part of what the Getting Things Done methodology/process is all about.

Its interesting to me how I started getting into the whole GTD thing. I was actually at a BarCamp a few years ago. I was attending this particular forum as a way to get a little bit more involved in a developer community than I had been since undergrad. I don't remember how long the actual event lasted - but everything was kind of a waste....except for the 15 minutes or so that I was listening to this guy talk about 'GTD'. He was discussing how much of a (and I quote) "freak and nerd" he was about GTD. He kept talking about writing down whatever was in his head and then not worrying about it the rest of the day, week, whatever. I don't know why - but this guy talking with such passion made me very curious. When I got home, I Googled "GTD" because that's the only thing I could remember about what this guy was saying. Anyway to make a long story (hopefully) a little bit shorter - I started researching more and bought the book, "Getting Things Done".

Most everything contained in the book itself is pretty common sense. However, the author gives you a method to put these common sense things into a methodology the you can 'do' time after time after time. He also gives you some tools for dealing with the massive amounts of emails I was really having trouble with at the time I was researching GTD. In addition to GTD, one of the things I ran into was 43folders.com by Merlin Mann. BTW, I think that name is awesome - Merlin Mann. Merlin has a great video (and I guess now, website) called Inbox Zero. For those of you having issues at all with wasting away in the crazy land of email....you NEED to watch this video. Actually, watching anything made by Merlin Mann can be pretty cool - he's a neat guy with a very no-nonsense attitude. (Did I say I like his name? Its fun writing it and saying it "Merlin Mann"....seriously, think about having a first name: Merlin........I think I might need to officially change my name - but Merlin Fink doesn't quite roll off the tongue like Merlin Mann.) OK, sorry about the side track there.

All I can say is GTD and 43folders.com have really helped me organize my life in a little bit more coherent manner. I was able to get through college on my own without trying to organize my life too much - but once getting into the corporate world....I just had too many things to keep track of....my mind couldn't handle it all. And, if you'll read the book, "Getting Things Done" - you'll find David Allen makes a very good point....don't use your brain to store stuff and lists of things to do and when to have them done. Use your brain to actually do work, to critically think, to daydream and use your imagination!

All of that said - I feel like 'Big Mo' is on my side these days....things are going very nicely.

Alright all you readers (hopefully there are more than 12 of you), any folks work at home and have tips of the trade for me? Anyone have something that really changed their work or personal life and made them more productive?

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love reading your comments about our crazy adventures!