Friday, August 22, 2014

The August Break Day 22: Shadow

22.8.14
Kristen says...

"Who knows? The Shadow knows..."

If you don't know this about us already, Chris and I are quite different in many ways. One of those ways is how we sleep. Chris is one of those lucky people who sleeps like the dead within 5 minutes of his head hitting the pillow. I, on the other had, toss and turn and think for sometimes hours before drifting into a fitful and dream-filled sleep. 

In order to channel my mind and attempt to sleep more quickly, and entertain him during his 1-5 minutes of head on pillow wakeful time, we listen to Old Time Radio at bedtime. 

Chris likes the nostalgic comedies like "Fibber McGee and Molly" and "The Aldrich Family" while I prefer westerns like "The Cisco Kid" mysteries like "Yours Truly, Johnny Dollar" and yes,  "The Shadow". 

We have found a couple of really great websites that host free OTR downloads (https://archive.org/details/oldtimeradio is the best we've found) and we get a lot of enjoyment out of listening to the episodes, giggling at the historical differences, and discussing the advertising ("It's wise to smoke extra-mild Fatima"--Really 1940s? Really?) and other interesting elements. 


If you have never listened to OTR I suggest you give it a try. And if you want any recommendations, leave a comment with what interests you and I can give you some titles to look for.  :)

KF

PS: They say it takes 21 days to make a habit...if I have posted 22 days in a row, do I have a blogging habit?

Eh, probably not. :) But I'll try to at least make it daily through the end of the month! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love reading your comments about our crazy adventures!